"It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver."

"It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver."

~Mohandas K Gandhi

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Fast Pass?

I had a cold starting about a month or so ago.  I managed to soldier through and get rid of the cold without it becoming anything more severe- yay!  However, I am still coughing and wheezing a great deal, mostly at night.  I wake up needing to use my rescue inhaler, which is out of the norm for me.  So, today, I threw in the towel and went to my GP.  He's very familiar with my medical history, and knows that I'm a tiny bit more informed than his average patient, and therefore really listens to me.  This, I have found, is a rare commodity, especially in GPs.  They are so rushed and overbooked these days, it's hard to get them to stop and listen sometimes.

So, today, I outlined for Dr H what's been going on, ending with, "I'm honestly not sure if I have a little bronchitis, and need an antibiotic, or if I just need a week of prednisone to get the asthma sorted out."  After examining me, he agreed with what I was leaning towards- that I just need some prednisone. 

While we were discussing things, I mentioned we are going to Disney in a few weeks, and asked if he would be willing to write me out a scrip for an antibiotic to bring along, just in case.  Sure, no problem, and, "I'm going to totally make your vacation right here."  He wrote for a couple of minutes on his prescription pad; I couldn't see exactly what he was writing, but it was a lot more writing than you usually see on a prescription.  He then handed it to me.  He gave me a Medical Fast Pass!  "I don't want you having to stand out in the heat and humidity waiting for long periods, with your lungs," he said.

Basically, when I arrive at each Disney Park, I bring this paper to the Fast Pass office.  The Fast Pass enables me and my group to walk up to any ride and bypass the line.  It's not something that occured to me to ask any doctor about, because, really, when I go somewhere, if I'm tired or not feeling well, I find air conditioning, go in, and sit for a while.  But between my lungs and immune system and my son's Sensory processing Disorder, it might not be a bad thing to have, just in case.

I'm of two minds on this.  Part of me thinks, "I'm really not that bad off.  This is kind of cheating."  However, the other part of me is thinking that, with the crappy health deal Mother Nature gave me, I may as well take advantage of it once in a while when it nets me something good.

So, I don't know.  I'll bring it, certainly, and get the Fast Pass, probably.  But I doubt I'll use it for everything we do there.

What would you do?  Would you use the Medical Fast Pass?

2 comments:

  1. Yes. Yes, I would. It's like you said, when you have such issues with health, you might as well take full advantage of the good stuff it does actually bring you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I walk with a cane full time. Instant fast pass for me and my group, no note needed. Disney is VERY accommodating for those of us with health issues.

    Use it when you feel you need it, don't when you are feeling well enough to wait in line.

    We went to disneyland when my daughter had a broken leg in 3rd grade and was in a wheelchair, between she and i, we got popped to the front of the line right off the bat.

    ReplyDelete