"It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver."

"It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver."

~Mohandas K Gandhi

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Allergy season

So, it's allergy season.  My environmental allergies used to be a lot worse than they are now.  However, I had a baby five and a half years ago.  According to my (and my son's) allergist, in some women, when they get pregnant, their allergy status (aka, what they are allergic to and how badly they react) changes, and sometimes the change is permanent.  Some women get worse, but some women actually get better!  Thanks, Frank! ;) 

Basically, there are a lot of trees that I was badly allergic to before, but am not so bad anymore.  There were about fifteen on the list, most of which I had no clue what they looked like, so I looked them up.  It turns out, I am allergic to pretty, flowery trees.  Some of them ahve dropped off my list entirely.

This allergy season started early, because of our mild winter, and it is going to be long.  This means my allergies instead of waiting until late April or early May like normal, started in late March to early April this year.  So I've had symptoms for almost four weeks now.  My son has, too, and was suffering badly for several days, until we got aggressive with the medications we have him on, and he seems to be okay for now. 

With me, there is a whole other dimension to worry about.  because I am susceptible to respiratory infections, I can go right from being not sick to being quite sick.  Yes, allergies can actually cause a raging bronchitis, withhout another underlying infection.  Awesome.

I first felt it coming on Friday last week, but went to work and muddled through the weekend, feeling like hell.  (I had an event at school I was interpreting Friday night, and a job Saturday morning and another Sunday morning.  I did not have time to go to the doctor.)  Monday afternoon, I went to the doctor after school.  Dr H walked in and greeted me, and didn't bat an eyelash when I informed him I had bronchitis brought on by allergies.  He's quite used to my medical specialness by now.  One antibiotic and Prednisone scrip later, as well as a scrip for codeine cough syrup, I was out the door.

Codeine and I have a love-hate relationship.  Like most people, codeine is awesome for stopping the cough for me.  A doctor explained to me somewhere along the way it's actually a chemical reaction in the brain: codeine literally stops the coughing mechanism.  However, codeine does not put me to sleep like it does for most people.  Codeine actually revs me up.  Sure, I am no longer coughing, but I am practically twitching as I lie in bed staring up at the ceiling, with the strangest, most disjointed thoughts running through my head.  I have no way of knowing for sure, but I imagine it's kind of how a manic episode feels for someone who is bipolar.

So, my nebulizer wasn't stopping the cough, nothing was, and I was just so damn tired, so the last few nights, I have taken the codeine cough syrup, with the result being I have been awake most of the last few nights.  It completely sucks, and on top of my insomnia that I battle regularly, anyway, it is enough to make one crave death, just to be able to sleep.  I probably should have called in sick to work today, I was so tired.  I really should not have been out driving.  Once I picked up my son and came home, and got his homework on its way, I laid down on the couch and actually dozed off for a bit.  I am still exhausted, but got enough of a second wind to make it through the evening.  I am going to bed very soon.  I really hope I sleep tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment