"It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver."

"It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver."

~Mohandas K Gandhi

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I'm back!

This winter was...well, different, and yet the same, for me.  Here in the Northeast, aside from the October freak snowstorm, the winter was very mild.  It was so mild, in fact, we barely got anymore snow, and as such, the school district I work in did not use one snow day, so we got one day added onto our spring break!  It was nice not feeling oppressed by tons of snow all winter long.

I was sick just as often, though, and, at times, it seemed like more often than usual.  IT was only after practically crying in Dr D's office in late February, though, that he commented that there had been some studies about IVIG recently, and, "Perhaps we, as doctors, have been too conservative with teh amount we've been prescribing.  Let's try upping the amount of IVIG you're getting, and see if that helps."  Two months later, and I do feel like it's helping- I went almost six solid weeks without an infection!

I have an URI now, though, that's become bronchitis.  Yay.  This one came on from, believe it or not, allergies.  Yup, springtime, things are blooming, pollen's in the air...and all the world is miserable.  My son, who is pretty healthy, is miserable, too.  Anyway, it was the allergies, combined with a supply shortage that caused my latest treatment to be delayed a week, that brought this infection on.  (Supply shortage?  Really?  You know I get this stuff every month.  Why can you people not think to count and order enough in advance, to be delivered when it needs to be?  I'm afraid I took my anger at my situation out on my pharmacist at the infusion company, who really is a sweet woman, but really, I am just a name and number to her, she has no clue how a week's delay affects my health.) 

It angers me and frustrates me that, at the end of the day, I am so wiped out sometimes just from breathing all day that I haven't enough energy to deal with or play with my son, or enjoy a conversation with my husband.  I let him do most of the talking when I am sick, simply because if I talk too much, I cough, and then the conversation is over.  I'd love it if he learned to sign, so this would not be an issue! ;) I had a really bad day last week, and I emailed my husband from work: "Today is really a day I am getting through just by sheer will. I can barely breathe, even with all the drugs I have in my system, and it's wiping me out."  I'm not sure those who have not experienced it can really understand how difficult breathing and doing other things at the same time can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment